Re: [RFC] Restrict kernel spawning of threads to a specified set ofcpus.

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Wed Sep 11 2013 - 10:53:49 EST

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 14:21 +0000, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> > Mind saying why? To me, creating properties of exclusive sets of CPUs
> > that the interface which manages sets and their properties is not fully
> > aware of is a dainbramaged thing to do.
>
> cpusets is being replaced by cgropus. And the mechanism adds some
> significant latencies to core memory management processing path.

You don't have to use or even configure in all controllers.

> Also many folks in finance like to deal directly with the hardware
> (processor numbers, affinity masks etc). There are already numerous ways
> to specify these masks. Pretty well established. Digging down a cpuset
> hierachy is a bit tedious. Then these cpusets can also overlap which
> makes the whole setup difficult.

These kind of things have to be exclusive set attributes 'course,
overlapping nohz_tick/full/off just ain't gonna work very well.

I hacked it up for my rt kernel to turn the tick on/off, and disable rt
load balancing (cpupri adds jitter) on a per exclusive set basis. The
cpuset bit is easy. Connecting buttons to scheduler and whatnot can
make cute little "You'd better not EVER submit this" warts though :)

> If cpusets can be used on top then ok but I would like it not to be
> required to have that compiled in.

IMHO, it makes much more sense to unify set attributes in cpusets,
fixing up or griping about whatever annoys HPC boxen/folks.

But whatever, I only piped in to mention that isolcpus wants to die, and
I've done that, so I can pipe-down now.

-Mike