Re: RTL8187SE staging Linux driver

From: John W. Linville
Date: Tue Sep 10 2013 - 13:00:27 EST

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 05:59:54PM +0200, Andrea Merello wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you probably know, in the current Linux kernel there is a staging
> driver for the RTL8187SE device (based on my older RTL8180/RTL8185
> Linux driver), while there also a regular (not staging) driver
> supporting older RTL8185 and RTL8180 devices
> (net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8180) .
>
> As far as I can see, the RTL8187SE device seems not so much different
> from an RTL8185 device.
> I would like to try (in my spare time) to add support for RTL8187SE
> device in the current RTL818x driver, in order to avoid code
> duplication, remove a driver from staging, and make RTL8187SE using
> mac80211.
>
> Do any one of you have any comment/objection/suggestions about this ?

I would be extremely happy for you to tackle this.

> Is it possible to get the RTL8187SE documentation to make things easier?

This info used to be readily available. If you can't find a source, I
probably still have a (mildly useful) datasheet somewhere in my heap...

> For now I will probably keep different RF code for the two cards even
> if the RTL8225 (zebra 2) radio is used by both RTL8187SE and some
> RTL8185 devices, however if I could get enough documentation about it,
> it would be great to try to merge also RF code..
>
> Thank you,
> Andrea

Seems reasonable...

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx might be all we have. Be ready.