Re: [RFC] Restrict kernel spawning of threads to a specified set of cpus.

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef
Date: Tue Sep 10 2013 - 02:05:55 EST

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not sure how to call this kernel option but we need something like
> that. I see drivers and the kernel spawning processes on the nohz cores.
> The name kthread is not really catching the purpose.
>
> os_cpus=? highlatency_cpus=?

First off, thank you for doing this. It is very useful :-)

Currently if one wishes to run a single task on an isolated CPU with
as little interference as possible, one needs to pass
rcu_nocbs, isolcpus, nohz_full parameters and now kthread parameter,
all pretty much with the same values

I know some people won't like this, but can we perhaps fold all these
into a single parameter, perhaps even the existing isolcpus?

Thanks,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker

"If you take a class in large-scale robotics, can you end up in a
situation where the homework eats your dog?"
-- Jean-Baptiste Queru