Re: "Virtual" Interrupts -- Need help please

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Sep 09 2013 - 07:45:45 EST

On 09/09/2013 04:18 AM, Alexander Holler wrote:
Am 09.09.2013 13:02, schrieb Mark Brown:
On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 05:35:56PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

Please fix your mailer to word wrap within paragraphs, not doing this
makes your mail very hard to read. It looks like your mailer has also
reflowed Daniel's mail.

That's just wrong. Mail readers should wrap lines, not senders. And readers can do this since some decades.

The reason is obvious: No sender knows the line width the receiver can display. So, for example, if the sender hard breaks lines every 80 chars, a reader with a device which just displays 60 characters at max. will see every second line with at most 20 characters. I assume you can guess how such does look like. Furthermore there are still a lot of people which do like to read mails with line length as long their display is possible to show, and hard breaking lines on the receiver side does make such impossible.

So the correct behaviour is to not hard break lines on the sender side and leave that to the reader on the receiving side, as only the receiving side knows the line width.

I am using thunderbird and/or mutt. I don't think they reflow anything,
or at least the logged mail doesn't seem to have been reflowed (nor
does the text above).

As for what I write myself, I prefer to wrap manually, meaning automatic
insertion of newlines is turned off. Guess I can not do it right for everyone.

Guenter