Re: DA9063 driver development

From: Samuel Ortiz
Date: Fri Sep 06 2013 - 07:08:27 EST

Hi Steve,

See my answers below:

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 10:47:58AM +0000, Steve Twiss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am late into the discussion about the DA9063 driver because I missed
> the e-mail thread around 24th July
> (https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/24/460)
> so I only recently noticed that a DA9063 driver from Philipp Zabel
> had been submitted and accepted to linux-next.
>
> I also noted that this driver was using a previous patch-set as its baseline;
> sent by Krystian Garbaciak over a year ago. Given that this original
> patch-set was not accepted, and the production of the DA9063 chip has
> advanced since the last submission, we were holding off the final DA9063
> driver until later.
>
> As I discussed earlier in https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/6/28/170 I was in
> the process of getting this driver ready for submission to the kernel.
>
> It is well understood that any early submission of our driver to the
> community (around v3.6) meant that this sort of external driver development
> could happen without any further input from Dialog. However, this driver:
>
> - is based on something that is a year old and now out of date;
> - it cannot support the most recent mass-production release of DA9063 silicon;
>
> Is it possible to remove this driver from linux-next so these issues
> can be resolved by Dialog?
Unfortunately it's too late for that. I sent a pull request to Linus
with this driver included, so I expect it to hit Linus' tree anytime
soon.
That means that it will be part of the 3.12-rc1 release. The good news
here is that we have about 8 weeks to modify it to match your recent
development, before 3.12 is released.
I would really prefer to modify the now existing driver and improve it,
rather than revert it.

Cheers,
Samuel.

--