Re: [guv v2 23/31] tile: Replace __get_cpu_var uses

From: Chris Metcalf
Date: Fri Aug 30 2013 - 12:01:22 EST

On 8/28/2013 2:13 PM, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 1:54 PM, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, Chris Metcalf wrote:
>>> In addition, I applied the following commit to clean up the remaining
>>> uses that are currently only being carried in the linux-tile tree.
>> You are going to merge these changes right? I can drop the tile patch from
>> my series?
> Yes, I am, so please feel free to drop it.

Given the nacks from Peter Ziljstra and Ingo Molnar, I'm changing my mind and dropping this patch from my tree, so please continue to include arch/tile in your tree as you figure out how you want to restructure the overall series.

I reviewed the one commit in the linux-tile tree that added new __get_cpu_var uses (kprobes support), and concluded the code can safely use __this_cpu_write etc (and in fact the generic reset_current_kprobe method already does so), so I modified the code not to use __get_cpu_var. So there shouldn't be any new uses from the tile tree after the merge window opens.

Their concerns feel particularly relevant to arch/tile since one of the commits queued for the merge window is support for preemption :-)

Thanks!

--
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com