Re: [RFC/PATCH 2/2] scsi: ufs: requests completion handling

From: James Bottomley
Date: Thu Aug 29 2013 - 14:37:11 EST

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 20:37 +0300, Yaniv Gardi wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> See reply inline
>
> Thanks,
> Yaniv

Yes, I know that. But all done does is queue the completion to the
softirq. All you get with this is a reordering of that queue. If you
can actually measure the performance impact of that, I'd be very
surprised. We're talking under a microsecond in a round trip activity
that takes tens to hundreds of miliseconds to issue and complete.

> Scenario: a new HEAD_OF_QUEUE request that is completed during the
> current
> loop, will be served only in the next interrupt (since the DOORBELL
> will be
> read again only in the next interrupt), and saying it is a high tag,
> it will
> be completed lastly. This patch will fix it, as I see that.

It fixes something that isn't a problem. The softirq won't even be
activated until all pending interrupts are serviced, so a command
arriving in the middle of processing gets immediately serviced on the

James