Re: page fault scalability (ext3, ext4, xfs)

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Thu Aug 15 2013 - 11:14:34 EST

On 08/14/2013 06:11 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> The point is that if the goal is to measure page fault scalability, we
> shouldn't have this other stuff happening as the same time as the page
> fault workload.

will-it-scale does several different tests probing at different parts of
the fault path:

https://www.sr71.net/~dave/intel/willitscale/systems/bigbox/3.11.0-rc2-dirty/foo.html

It does that both for process and threaded workloads which lets it get
pretty good coverage of different areas of code.

I only posted data from half of one of these tests here because it was
the only one that I found that both had noticeable overhead in the
filesystem code. It also showed substantial, consistent, and measurable
deltas between the different filesystems.