Re: nouveau: temperature on nv40 is unavailable since ad40d73ef533ab0ad16b4a1ab2f7870c1f8ab954

From: Martin Peres
Date: Wed Aug 14 2013 - 22:07:23 EST

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.On 14/08/2013 05:02, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On Tuesday 13 August 2013 15:55:28 Martin Peres wrote:
On 13/08/2013 09:53, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On utorok, 13. augusta 2013 15:32:45 CEST, Martin Peres
wrote:
On 13/08/2013 09:23, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On Tuesday 13 August 2013 09:01:19 Martin Peres wrote:

You can check the temperature by running nvidia-settings.
If you can't see the temperature in it, then nvidia
doesn't support it on your card and
I'm not sure we should :s

Thanks for the vbios you sent me in private. For the
others, the reason why he doesn't have temperature anymore
is because his vbios lacks sensor calibration values.
In nvidia-settings tab "GPU 0 - (GeForce 6600 GT)" -->
"Thermal Settings" is:

Thermal Sensor Information:
ID: 0
Target: GPU
Provider: GPU Internal
Temperature: 70 C (now)

I looked in Windows program SpeedFan. It found Nvidia PCI
card and reported "GPU Temp" about 68-70 C. So it looks
like both nvidia driver and windows SpeedFan program
reading same values.
Great, I'll cook you a patch in a bit and you'll see what the
temperature is like. It won't be perfectly accurate but there
is some kind of default for nvidia cards of this generation.
Ok, send me patch and I can try it if it will work and report
similar values as windows or nvidia driver.

Sorry for the late answer.

Please test this patch. Be aware that temperature with nouveau will be higher than with the blob.
I only want to see if nouveau reports a temperature.

The only way to be sure if the values are good-enough would be to use the blob and run:
nvapeek 0x15b0
Please send me the result along with the temperature reported by nvidia at the time of the peek.

Martin

PS: This patch has only be compile-tested, I don't have access to an nv4x right now.