Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have peopleinterested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Aug 13 2013 - 21:49:54 EST

On 08/13/2013 04:32 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 08/01/2013 08:50 PM, David Gibson wrote:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 05:26:47PM -0400, jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 04:37:36PM -0400, jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:
[snip]
Alternatively you may be of the belief that it is impossible to
get rid of the board specific code. But x86 doesn't have any of
it, why should ARM?

Sure x86 has board specific code. It's just that x86 basically
only has one board - PC.

That is one aspect (hardware standardization)... but it is more to it
than that.

I have to deal with lots of embedded / non-PC x86 based systems. Worst one
I encountered so far was a board where the VGA memory space was re-used
for an eeprom. The upcoming next generation hardware I'll have to support
is so far off-standard that I'll probably have to define a new platform
type (similar to OLPC or CE4100).

No, it is not all PC. Not anymore. Intel has started to sell into
the embedded space, where PC compatibility is not a requirement.

Guenter