Re: btrfs zero divide

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Tue Aug 13 2013 - 12:33:35 EST

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, Zach Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 02:26:36PM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > Josef Bacik <jbacik@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > So stripe_len shouldn't be 0, if it is you have bigger problems :).
> >
> > The bigger problem is that stripe_nr is u64, this is completely bogus.
> > The first operand of do_div must be u32. This goes through the whole
> > file.

This was introduced by commit 53b381b3abeb86f12787a6c40fee9b2f71edc23b
("Btrfs: RAID5 and RAID6"), which changed the divisor from
map->stripe_len (struct map_lookup.stripe_len is int) to a 64-bit
temporary.

> Definitely. Can we get some typeof() tricks in the macros to have the
> build fail if (when, evidently) someone gets it wrong?

Not using typeof, as there are way too many callsites where int is used
instead of u32.

However, checking that sizeof() equals to 4 seems to work.
Below is a patch for asm-generic, which is untested, but it works when
adding the same checks to arch/m68k/include/asm/div64.h

This is not something we just want to drop in, as it has the potential of
breaking lots of things (yes, it breaks btrfs :-)