On WfW 3.11 (was RE: Linux 3.11-rc5)

From: Yuhong Bao
Date: Mon Aug 12 2013 - 22:21:36 EST

> Sadly, the numerology doesn't quite work out, and while releasing the
> final 3.11 today would be a lovely coincidence (Windows 3.11 was
> released twenty years ago today), it is not to be.

Personally, I don't consider WfW 3.11 all that impressive, especially when it requires a 386 anyway. You can tell that I hate the MS OS/2 2.0 fiasco quite a lot: http://yuhongbao.blogspot.ca/2012/12/about-ms-os2-20-fiasco-px00307-and-dr.html

And I didn't mention the CMD640/RZ1000 in this blog article, where basically the two IDE channels was not really independent, leading to data corruption in multitasking OSes. Let's just say that if OS/2 2.x actually replaced DOS/Windows instead of turning into an entire fiasco, these hardware would not likely have shipped with the problems.

Yuhong Bao --