Re: [ 000/102] 3.10.6-stable review

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Fri Aug 09 2013 - 16:28:18 EST

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 01:08:38PM -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 10:00:56PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > Just get a Beaglebone Black, it's $45 and Cortex A8 (armv7). Well buy
> > two, since you'll use the first one for hacking GPIOs to everything :-)
> >
> > http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black
>
> I have a pre-production version of this, but I don't think that
> everything it needs to work is currently upstream :(

Ah I never checked indeed. I only got one so it stayed at step 1 (GPIO).

> > If you want to do cool stuff, the AX3 is by far the best thing I've seen
> > to date, really, but it's too expensive for a non-profit developer in my
> > opinion :
> >
> > https://openblocks.plathome.com/form/obs_verification/input.html
>
> Does it work with a "clean" upstream kernel.org release?

Yes, I just booted mine with exactly the mbox patches applied on
top of plain 3.10.5. There's a SATA SSD in it so that you don't even
need to care about the MTD stuff etc... I'm used to boot mine over
the network with a rootfs in the initrd, so everything runs in RAM
because it's more convenient for me, it boots in about 8 seconds.

It started to work since 3.8 and is fine with 3.10+. 3.11 brings
PCIe and some stuff you won't necessarily need for kernel dev.

You won't have the NEON extensions on it (but I doubt you'd need it).

Willy