Re: [edk2] Corrupted EFI region

From: Brian J. Johnson
Date: Thu Aug 08 2013 - 17:46:08 EST

On 08/08/2013 10:02 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:49:16PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
Now, lines 01 to 05*do not happen*.

More precisely, they don't happen in the kernel. They happen in the
firmware. Specifically, "OvmfPkg/Library/LoadLinuxLib/Linux.c".

You're booting the kernel from the qemu command line. The kernel you
run is also an "[o]ld kernel[] without EFI handover protocol". So what
happens is, OVMF downloads the kernel image from qemu over fw_cfg,
figures it's an old kernel...

Right, I think this is easier than having to go into the EFI shell each
time and run bzImage.efi. Unless there's a faster way to do that along
with passing it kernel command line parameters...

You can use mtools or some other utility to update the kernel image and bootloader configuration files on the disk image, so it boots the way you want.

Or you could set OVMF to boot to the shell, and put a startup.nsh file on the boot partition which invokes the loader with the options you want. That may be a bit simpler than rewriting a grub config. We use this technique on our internal simulator.
--

Brian Johnson