Re: [REGRESSION/PATCH] acpi: blacklist win8 OSI for ASUS Zenbok Prime UX31A

From: Felipe Contreras
Date: Thu Aug 01 2013 - 14:11:39 EST

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 12:50:18PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > An interface that describes reality is better than one that doesn't. But
>> > hey, feel free to disagree and post a patch for the ABI docs.
>>
>> An interface that is useful to the user is better than one that is not.
>
> The interface is useful.

Not 100% useful.

If you are going to claim that 99% true is not true, then useful but
inconsistent is not useful.

I think it is useful, and I think it can be consistent if we want it to.

> There are plenty of machines out there that
> disable the backlight at minimum brightness setting (see every Apple,
> for example), and assuming otherwise has always been incorrect. But,
> like I said, send the patch.

The key word in "every Apple" is *every*; what level 0 does in every
apple is consistent. If 0 should turn off the screen, it should do so
on all Linux machines.

I will investigate and prepare an update to the documentation and the
quirks to do so.

--
Felipe Contreras