Re: [REGRESSION/PATCH] acpi: blacklist win8 OSI for ASUS Zenbok Prime UX31A

From: Felipe Contreras
Date: Thu Aug 01 2013 - 13:37:33 EST

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 01:07:57PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> If we can make the software behave consistently for 99% of the
>> machines out there instead of only 90%, that's better.
>
> If we can't make an interface 100% consistent, we shouldn't pretend that
> the interface is 100% consistent. We can't, and so we don't. Setting a
> backlight value of 0 may turn the screen off, and userspace needs to
> deal with that.

This is insanity; we can never guarantee 100% of anything.

Better is better. And 99% is better than 90%

% git grep quirks | wc -l
1585

Moreover, Linux already does quirks, and when there are quirks it
means there's no 100% guarantee of the thing working as it should;
hence the need for quirks, which is never complete, never 100%.

Anyway, screw the users, right? All you care about is that the code
looks good to you.

If we care about the users, we would provide a consistent interface,
where 0 means the same thing on all the backlight drivers. If all we
can do is provide this consistency 99% of the time through quirks,
that is the way to go.

--
Felipe Contreras