Re: [SCSI REGRESSION] 3.10.2 or 3.10.3: arcmsr failure at bootup / early userspace transition

From: Nix
Date: Mon Jul 29 2013 - 09:05:54 EST

On 29 Jul 2013, Bernd Schubert said:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On 07/29/2013 12:10 PM, Nick Alcock wrote:
>> arcmsr0: abort device command of scsi id = 0 lun = 1
>> arcmsr0: abort device command of scsi id = 0 lun = 0
>> arcmsr: executing bus reset eh.....num_resets=0, num_[...]
>>
>> arcmsr0: wait 'abort all outstanding command' timeout
>> arcmsr0: executing hw bus reset ....
>> arcmsr0: waiting for hw bus reset return, retry=0
>> arcmsr0: waiting for hw bus reset return, retry=1
>> Areca RAID Controller0: F/W V1.46 2009-01-06 & Model ARC-1210
>> arcmsr: scsi bus reset eh returns with success
>> [and back to the top of the error messages again, apparently forever,
>> not that the machine would be much use without its RAID array even
>> if this loop terminated at some point, so I only gave it a couple
>> of minutes]
>>
>> The failure happens precisely at the moment we transition to early
>> userspace, so presumably userspace I/O is failing (or something related
>> to raw device access, perhaps, since the first thing it does is a
>> vgscan).
>>
>> I haven't bisected yet (sorry, I have work to do which means this
>> machine must be running right now), but nothing has changed in the
>> arcmsr controller, nor in SCSI-land excepting
>>
>> commit 98dcc2946adbe4349ef1ef9b99873b912831edd4
>> Author: Martin K. Petersen <martin.petersen@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Thu Jun 6 22:15:55 2013 -0400
[...]
>> Obviously, at this point, this machine has no modules loaded (it has
>> almost none loaded even when fully operational)
>
> I tested this patch with ARC-1260 and F/W V1.49, no issues. Also, this
> patch is only in 3.10.3, but not yet in 3.10.1.

... and I see this problem with 3.10.3 but not 3.10.1. (Haven't tried
3.10.2.)

> And I don't think this
> commit can cause your issue at all, a failing heuristics would enable
> WRITE SAME and would cause issues with linux-md, but there shouldn't
> happen anything directly in the scsi-layer. Which was your last
> working kernel version?

3.10.1. :)

No changes to arcmsr between those versions... I suspect I'll have to
bisect, which will be a complete pig because every failure means a hard
powerdown of this box. Always-on servers rarely appreciate hard
powerdowns :(

--
NULL && (void)