Re: targetcli -fb now also Apache 2.0 licensed

From: James Bottomley
Date: Wed Jul 24 2013 - 16:21:14 EST

On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 13:09 -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-23 at 23:27 -0700, Andy Grover wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > I just wanted to let you know that I finally received permission from
> > all contributors, and have matched RisingTide's relicensing of targetcli
> > and its dependencies to Apache 2.0, by relicensing the additional
> > contributions in the targetcli-fb branch under the same license.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure the next steps are, except enjoying all our newly
> > non-viral source code, but much thanks for getting the ball rolling.
> >

> Making this type of announcement without coordinating with us on a plan
> for moving forward is pretty lame. Especially considering that we've
> kept asking you privately about how to work together to reconcile -fb
> with upstream, and your response essentially boiled down to "What's in
> it for me..?".

Oh good grief, children, how about you both play nicely in the sand box
or I'll fetch your parents to make you see sense.

> So if you really, really need an incentive to "do the right thing", how
> about I start not accept kernel patches from you until you're ready to
> drop -fb and start working with upstream for real..?

Well, the thing is, being a maintainer in Linux is a position of trust.
The fastest way to lose that trust is to hold your tree to ransom or
indeed refuse to accept patches for anything other than technical or
licensing reasons.

James