Re: Linux 3.11-rc2 (acpi backlight)

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Jul 23 2013 - 19:55:53 EST

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:46:29 AM Kamal Mostafa wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 21:54 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Yes, but [...] I'd suggest doing the revert just in time for
> > > rc3, but waiting until then to gather info about people who see
> > > breakage.
> > >
> > > Sound like a plan?
> >
> > Yes, it does.
> >
> > Rafael
>

> Hi Rafael-
>
> For your reference...
>
> As James Hogan reported, those ACPI changes break backlight control on
> the "Dell XPS13" Ivy Bridge models (the Sandy Bridge XPS13 model is not
> affected).
>
> I confirm that reverting 8c5bd7a and efaa14c fixes it again.

Thanks!

I'd like to collect some information on the systems having problems with those
two commits (to see if they are similar somehow).

It seems that one common symptom is that brightness cannot be controlled
through function keys. Is that correct for all of you? If so, did you try
any other way to control brightness, like a GUI-based?

Also, can you all please send me (a) the output of dmidecode and (b) the
contents of /proc/cpuinfo from your systems?

Rafael

--
I speak only for myself.
Rafael J. Wysocki, Intel Open Source Technology Center.