Re: [tip:perf/core] perf tools: Make Power7 events available forperf

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Tue Jul 23 2013 - 01:32:26 EST

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013, tip-bot for Runzhen Wang wrote:

> perf tools: Make Power7 events available for perf
>
> This patch makes all the POWER7 events available in sysfs. So we can
> instead specify these as:
>
> $ size arch/powerpc/perf/power7-pmu.o
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 3073 2720 0 5793 16a1 arch/powerpc/perf/power7-pmu.o
>
> and after the patch is applied, it is:
>
> $ size arch/powerpc/perf/power7-pmu.o
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 15950 31112 0 47062 b7d6 arch/powerpc/perf/power7-pmu.o

so we're really going down this road?

If x86 follows this precedent we're going to end up with 300k+ of
event names in the kernel. And as a reminder, perf_event cannot
be disabled on x86, nor can it be compiled as a module. So that would
be 300k of event names in every kernel for everyone, even those not using
perf.

This belongs in userspace.

Vince