Re: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review

From: Regina Obe
Date: Mon Jul 22 2013 - 21:42:15 EST

I wanted to take Sarah up on her offer to pay my respects for the
great work she is doing to bring civility to the LKLM community
as detailed in http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137390362508794

Linus,
I want to start off by saying, though I'm mostly a windows developer,
I've gained a whole new level of appreciation for you, with the very
professional
way you have handled Sarah's pleas for civility and professionalism. I
hope you don't think of "professionalism" and "civility" as dirty
words, because I certainly did not mean it that way.
I have tried to express my own feelings in the most professional and
civil way I could
muster in this article
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/311-In-defense-of-being-blunt-and-to-the-point.html
.

I want to first say that while Sarah does not speak for me, and I
suspect she does not speak for all minorities, females, and the poor
down-trodden developers
in your ranks that have had their feelings torn apart by your less
than kind words, I do still appreciate her great efforts to bring
civility to LKML. You go girl, Sarah -- keep fighting the good fight,
we are with you - both men and women. I do hope your efforts do not
make it difficult for women to distinguish criticism from platitudes.

Perhaps some day, Sarah, your dream will come true and you can be a
top tier committer as you stated in your moving up the career rank
comment.
http://sarah.thesharps.us/2013/07/15/no-more-verbal-abuse/#comments

You won't even have to work for it, because Linus will be so scared of you
he'll just hand it over to you and accept any patch you give him.

Please don't take my above statement as an accusation that that is
what you are doing. That is not at all what I meant. I just meant to
say that if you wanted to exercise that
option, you are in a good position to. Consider it just my suggested
career advice just like the wonderful career advice you have given to
other women in your blog
http://sarah.thesharps.us/2013/06/23/dont-be-a-jerk/ .

I do have one final request. If you do succeed in your quest for
civility and professionalism, please do try to keep the office
politics where they belong, in the office.
I'd still like to think there is still some semblance of openness
after you are done with your restructuring.

I want to thank you one more time for the great work you have done
bringing this GREAT INJUSTICE to our attention. I certainly would not
have discovered it without all the great accolades you have won for
this from both men and women
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/22/sarah-sharp . You must
be some kind of wonder woman. I am so very very appreciative that
there is a woman out there willing to stand up to Linus verbal abuse
and fight for those who are too afraid to stand up for themselves.

You are just SO *fucking* cool.

YOU GO GIRL SARAH.

Thanks,
Regina Obe