IGMP Unsolicited Report Interval too long for IGMPv3?

From: William Manley
Date: Mon Jul 22 2013 - 06:51:47 EST

If an IGMP join packet is lost you will not receive data sent to the multicast group so if no data arrives from that multicast group in a period of time after the IGMP join a second IGMP join will be sent. The delay between joins is the "IGMP Unsolicited Report Interval".

In the kernel this seems to be hard coded to be chosen randomly between 0-10s. In our use-case (IPTV) this is too long as it can cause channel change to be slow in the presence of packet loss.

I would guess that this 10s has come from IGMPv2 RFC2236, which was reduced to 1s in IGMPv3 RFC3376.

There was a thread about this on linux-rdma in 2010 in the context of IP over Infiniband but it seems no patches got applied as a result of the discussion:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-rdma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg05740.html

Would the right patch reducing the unsolicited report interval for IGMPv3 be acceptable now?

Thanks

Will