Re: [RFC 0/4] Transparent on-demand struct page initializationembedded in the buddy allocator

From: Robin Holt
Date: Mon Jul 22 2013 - 02:13:50 EST

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 04:51:49PM -0700, Yinghai Lu wrote:

> >> How to test how much time spend on free_all_bootmem?
> >
> > We had put a pr_emerg at the beginning and end of free_all_bootmem and
> > then used a modified version of script which record the time in uSecs
> > at the beginning of each line of output.
>
> used two patches, found 3TiB system will take 100s before slub is ready.
>
> about three portions:
> 1. sparse vmemap buf allocation, it is with bootmem wrapper, so clear those
> struct page area take about 30s.
> 2. memmap_init_zone: take about 25s
> 3. mem_init/free_all_bootmem about 30s.
>
> so still wonder why 16TiB will need hours.

I don't know where you got the figure of hours for memory initialization.
That is likely for a 32TiB boot and includes the entire boot, not just
getting the memory allocator initialized.

For a 16 TiB boot:
1) 344
2) 1151
3) 407

I hope that illustrates why we chose to address the memmap_init_zone first
which had the nice side effect of also impacting the free_all_bootmem
slowdown.

With these patches, those numbers are currently:
1) 344
2) 49
3) 26

> also your patches looks like only address 2 and 3.

Right, but I thought that was the normal way to do things. Address
one thing at a time and work toward a better kernel. I don't see a
relationship between the work we are doing here and the sparse vmemmap
buffer allocation. Have I missed something?

Did you happen to time a boot with these patches applied to see how
long it took and how much impact they had on a smaller config?

Robin