Re: [RFC / musing] Scoped exception handling in Linux userspace?

From: Joseph S. Myers
Date: Fri Jul 19 2013 - 12:29:35 EST

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> 2. It's localized. So you can mmap something, read from it *and
> handle SIGBUS*, and unmap.

There is of course no guarantee that possibly faulting memory accesses are
preserved (GCC should never introduce such an access where it wouldn't
occur in the abstract machine, but may well *remove* accesses that aren't
required). Hopefully you don't want to rely on a guarantee that faults
will happen....

> It's worth noting that SIGBUS isn't the only interesting signal here.
> SIGFPE could work, too. I'm not sure whether SIGPIPE would make

The SIGFPE case could potentially be relevant for C bindings to IEEE
754-2008 (clause 8) alternate exception handling, where the expectation is
that various forms of exception handling attribute can be associated with
a block. Though what such bindings will end up looking like, and to what
extent the various cases involved will correspond to things that could be
implemented using SIGFPE, remains to be seen - checking floating-point
exception flags after each operation could turn out to be a better
implementation approach in some cases. The C floating-point group hasn't
got as far as designing such bindings yet (currently working on parts 1-3
of draft TS 18661, and optional attributes are to go in part 5).

(Note: although I'm interested in these floating-point issues and am
reviewing all the parts of the draft C bindings as they become available,
I don't have current plans for implementing them - or the remaining bits
of C99/C11 Annex F and Annex G not yet implemented in GCC. There's
certainly a lot of work to be done there in both GCC and glibc, with the
exception handling attributes from part 5, and rounding mode attributes
from part 1, probably among the larger pieces.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx