Re: Re: libata / IDE cs5536: 80c cable detect issue (and worse?)

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Fri Jul 19 2013 - 06:40:56 EST

Hi,

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 08:25:41 PM Andreas Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> forgot to mention that I had already added a libata.force=40c boot
> after my 80c config issue discovery
> which did successfully cause the "limiting to UDMA/33 due to 40c foo" dmesg
> yet where there's now initial but strong confirmation via reports
> that the resulting UDMA/33 limit did NOT manage to fix corruption issues,
> thus it's more strongly likely that the "bound to ill-suited pata_amd driver"
> (due to incorrectly configuring speeds, or due to not configuring speeds
> at all due to possibly BIOS not providing emulation of PCI register accesses
> to Geode bus, which would be properly supported by pata_cs5536 OTOH)
> thing is the actual reason and might fix it (fingers crossed).

UDMA/66 (and higher) requires 80-wire cable to work (if the vendor states
that UDMA/66 is supported then UDMA/100 should also work on CS5536). UDMA/33
should work just fine with 40-wire cable. Therefore this indeed sounds more
like wrong driver being selected issue than a cable problem.

Best regards,
--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Samsung R&D Institute Poland