Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] When to push bug fixes to mainline

From: David Lang
Date: Tue Jul 16 2013 - 16:30:00 EST

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

On 07/16/2013 12:19 AM, David Lang wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Willy Tarreau wrote:

And maybe in the end, having 1/10 patch cause a regression is not *that*
dramatic, and probably less than not fixing the 9 other bugs. In one case
we rely on -stable to merge the 10 fixes, and on the other case we'd rely
on -stable to just revert one of them.

Apologies for the late post, I'm catching up on things, but this jumped
out at me.

We went through a LOT of pain several years ago when people got into the
mindset that a patch was acceptable if it fixed more people than it
broke. eliminating that mindset did wonders for kernel stability.

Regressions are a lot more of a negative than bugfixes are a positive, a
10:1 ratio of fixes to regressions is _not_ good enough.

In my opinion, there is one exception, and that is when the problem
being fixed is much more severe than the fix. *In particular* two
cases: permanently damaging hardware and corrupting data. For example:
no boot, as severe as it is, is much better than either of these two
scenarios.

True, but the key point of this subthread is that regressions are _really_ bad, and in practice it's impossible to do enough testing to guarantee that there aren't regressions.

as a result, you should only risk regressions if the problem that is being fixed is really important. Just because someone found a bug doesn't make it important enough to risk regressions over.

David Lang