Re: Oops (NULL ptr deref) while loading some module

From: Mihai Moldovan
Date: Sun Jul 14 2013 - 23:48:45 EST

* On 15.07.2013 01:54 AM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> This is obviously happening while booting and udev is loading *some* module, but
> I have no idea which module is affected as such.

Quick correction: actually, at that time udev hasn't even started. udev is being
started by my initramfs one good second later, so at the time of those Oopses,
the root fs wasn't even mounted yet. Maybe the initramfs, but I'm not too sure
either.

[ 4.769188] dracut: dracut-029
[ 4.789227] systemd-udevd[1984]: starting version 204

What is the kernel trying to modprobe? Off what location, exactly?

It can't be /, as that isn't even mounted yet.

The initramfs? Maybe, but this has NO modules packed up whatsoever. I just
double-checked.

root@valery/tmp/foo# ls lib/modules/3.10.1-OSS4.2-dirty
modules.alias modules.alias.bin modules.builtin modules.builtin.bin
modules.dep modules.dep.bin modules.devname modules.order modules.softdep
modules.symbols modules.symbols.bin

The initramfs is solely used for assembling the RAID arrays when booting and
does not include any modules.

I just upgraded to 3.10.1 and am still seeing this.

Interesting issue, isn't it? :)

Mihai