Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] When to push bug fixes to mainline

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jul 12 2013 - 13:11:34 EST

On 07/11/2013 05:50 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> At least at one point in the past...

And at at least one *other* point in the past, Linus stated that
"holding back anything with a Cc: stable waiting for the merge window is
wrong". This would imply that the post-rc5-or-so policy and the stable
policy are effectively the same.

Now, "policy" is a big word, and Linus and the maintainers generally
have exercised discretion here and I would think that a lot of it really
depends on the trust relationship between Linus and maintainer, or
between maintainer and submaintainer. I generally try to flag to Linus
when I push something that he may consider questionable, and I very
rarely get

> Maybe the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of holding back
> changes and trying to avoid the risk of introducing regressions;
> perhaps this would be a good topic to discuss at the Kernel Summit.

I think it would, to the extent such a policy is needed and workable. I
think there is a serious risk in getting to hung up on policy.

-hpa