Re: i2c: introduce i2c helper i2c_find_client_by_name()

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Fri Jul 12 2013 - 06:54:26 EST

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 11:33:46AM -0700, Bin Gao wrote:
>
>> A good example is that an ISP(Imaging Signal Processor) driver needs
>> register i2c camera sensor devices via v4l2, so it has to unregister
>> all i2c clients that were previously registered by calling
>> i2c_register_board_info(), and then re-register. For this case we
>> can use this helper to get i2c_client by passing the client name.
>
> Please look at the work that IIRC Laurent Pichart (CCed) was doing on
> developing generic DT bindings for v4l in embedded systems,

I couldn't find anything related to OF except v4l2-of.c in the v4l2-core.
Is that what you mentioned?

> it sounds
> like you're working on similar hardware here. The general ideas should
> apply to any enumeration mechanism, not just DT.

Briefly looking into ACPI tables we have and mechanisms that we can
use in ACPI case, I doubt we may apply all the ideas, probably some of
them, though I didn't get yet where to read about in details. What I
could say now is that the patch provided by Bin Gao is definitely no
go.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko