Re: linux-next: rebase of the jdelvare-hwmon quilt series

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Thu Jul 11 2013 - 20:28:17 EST

Hi Jean,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 19:17:52 -0400 Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 3:39 AM, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW I would have accepted the patch even if it was not trivial and it
> > would have gone in linux-next just the same. The only difference is
> > whether I consider the patch for this merge window or only for the next.
>
> The linux-next tree should not see "new" commits during the two week
> window of the merge window -- only content for the active merge window
> should be in linux-next during the merge window. Once the rc1 tag has
> been completed, then you can add new content. This has been something
> that Stephen broadcasts regularly for each merge window start.
>
> So there is nothing wrong with accepting the patch, but if it isn't destined
> for this merge window, then it should not be forwarded to linux-next until
> after rc1 gets tagged.
>
> > Is there a policy to not include new patches in linux-next during a
> > merge window if the patch is for the next merge window? If so I wasn't
> > aware of it. I always considered that the earlier a patch gets in
> > linux-next, the better.
>
> Yes, see above.

As Paul said, new material should not enter linux-next until after -rc1
is released. In fact, every time Linus opens a merge window, I send an
email to lkml and the linux-next list saying just that. I also often add
that message to the top of my daily release announcements (though I
forgot during this merge window).

This restriction is imposed so that maintainers still getting their code
into the current merge window are not distracted by reports of problems
in linux-next to do with code that will not be merged in this merge
window.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx