Build failure when python-devel not installed

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Tue Jul 09 2013 - 09:27:42 EST

Hi,

While trying to build perf on a freshly installed Fedora 18
machine I couldn't do it if python-devel isn't installed.

The expected behaviour is for a warning to be emitted and the
build to continue.

I bisected it down to:

commit 31160d7feab786c991780d7f0ce2755a469e0e5e
"perf tools: Fix GNU make v3.80 compatibility issue"

If I revert this changeset, everything works as expected, I get:

config/Makefile:319: The path '/usr/bin/python-config' is not executable.
config/Makefile:323: No python-config tool was found
config/Makefile:323: Python support will not be built

and I get a perf binary with no python support.

When python-devel is not installed and I have the above cset, I
get:

CHK gtk2
CHK -DHAVE_GTK_INFO_BAR
CHK perl
config/Makefile:319: The path '/usr/bin/python-config' is not executable.
config/Makefile:319: *** Please set 'PYTHON_CONFIG' appropriately. Stop.
make: Leaving directory `/home/acme/git/linux/tools/perf'
[acme@sandy linux]$

Can you take a look at this?

Jiri, this brings another situation to be tested on the 'cd
tools/perf ; make -f tools/make' suite: removing/installing packages
needed to build with some feature to check that it just warns the user
that such feature won't be included instead of stopping the build :-)

- Arnaldo