Re: Why no USB id list in the kernel sources?

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jul 05 2013 - 17:43:29 EST

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 11:34:05PM +0200, Michael Opdenacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering why there is no include/linux/usb_ids.h (or
> include/linux/usb/ids.h) file in the same way there is a
> include/linux/pci_ids.h for PCI.

Because that way lies madness, we have learned from our mistakes and do
not want to repeat them again :)

It turns out that the pci_ids file isn't a good idea, it's a merge mess,
and only really works when you have ids that are shared across different
drivers. In the end, that is a very small number, and it's just not
worth the time and effort to do this in a centralized way.

Hope this helps explain things, if you want more details, dig into the
linux usb mailing list about 10-15 years ago when this decision was
made.

thanks,

greg k-h