Re: frequent softlockups with 3.10rc6.

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jul 04 2013 - 03:19:52 EST

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:49:01 +1000 Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The problem is that all the code that currently looks for
> > > WB_SYNC_ALL for it's behavioural cue during writeback now has
> > > multiple different modes they have to handle. IOWs, it's not a
> > > straight forward conversion process. WB_SYNC_ALL reaches right down
> > > into filesystem ->writepages implementations and they all need to be
> > > changed if we make up a new sync_mode behaviour.
> >
> > I have to admit that I absolutely detest our current "sync_mode" to
> > begin with, so I'd personally be happy to see some major surgery in
> > this area.

Forgive me, I was young.

> > WB_SYNC_NONE semantics would presumably be "just
> > start writeout" (so it would become WB_SYNC_WRITE), while WB_SYNC_ALL
> > would become (WB_SYNC_BEFORE | WB_SYNC_WRITE | WB_SYNC_AFTER), but
> > then the "for_sync" case would remove WB_SYNC_AFTER, because it does
> > its own waiting after.
>
> Not exactly. WB_SYNC_NONE currently means "best effort writeback"

Yup. WB_SYNC_NONE means "this is for memory cleaning" and WB_SYNC_ALL
means "this is for data integrity". They're two quite different
concepts whose implementations share a ton of code.

That being said, yes, sync_mode is pretty dorky and switching to a set
of very carefully defined flags makes sense.