Re: [GIT PULL] ext4 updates for 3.11

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 02 2013 - 13:18:40 EST

Hmm I'm getting this compiler warning:

fs/ext4/inode.c: In function âext4_writepagesâ:
fs/ext4/inode.c:2219:6: warning: âerrâ may be used uninitialized in
this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]

and I think the compiler is right to warn. The 'err' variable is set
inside a whilte() and an if() statement, and it is not at all obvious
that those codepaths are always taken.

Maybe that "map->m_len" is always guaranteed to be nonzero, and the
"while()" statement could be a "do { } while()" one. But if so, make
it so, don't write code as if it might never be executed, when the
return value seems to *depend* on it being executed.

Or just initialize the variable correctly.

This warning may not be new to this pull, I just happened to notice it now.

Linus