Re: cgroup: status-quo and userland efforts

From: Tim Hockin
Date: Thu Jun 27 2013 - 16:52:31 EST

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting Tejun Heo (tj@xxxxxxxxxx):
>> Hello, Serge.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 08:22:06AM -0500, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>> > At some point (probably soon) we might want to talk about a standard API
>> > for these things. However I think it will have to come in the form of
>> > a standard library, which knows to either send requests over dbus to
>> > systemd, or over /dev/cgroup sock to the manager.
>>
>> Yeah, eventually, I think we'll have a standardized way to configure
>> resource distribution in the system. Maybe we'll agree on a
>> standardized dbus protocol or there will be library, I don't know;
>> however, whatever form it may be in, it abstraction level should be
>> way higher than that of direct cgroupfs access. It's way too low
>> level and very easy to end up in a complete nonsense configuration.
>>
>> e.g. enabling "cpu" on a cgroup whlie leaving other cgroups alone
>> wouldn't enable fair scheduling on that cgroup but drastically reduce
>> the amount of cpu share it gets as it now gets treated as single
>> entity competing with all tasks at the parent level.
>
> Right. I *think* this can be offered as a daemon which sits as the
> sole consumer of my agent's API, and offers a higher level "do what I
> want" API. But designing that API is going to be interesting.

This is something we have, partially, and are working to be able to
open-source. We have a LOT of experience feeding into the semantics
that actually make users happy.

Today it leverages split-hierarchies, but that is not required in the
generic case (only if you want to offer the semantics we do). It
explicitly delegates some aspects of sub-cgroup control to users, but
that could go away if your lowest-level agency can handle it.