Re: [RFC 2/2] x86_64, mm: Reinsert the absent memory

From: Mike Travis
Date: Wed Jun 26 2013 - 12:07:51 EST

On 6/26/2013 5:14 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Nathan Zimmer <nzimmer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> perf seems to struggle with 512 cpus, but I did get some data.
>
> Btw., mind outlining in what way it struggles?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ingo

I submitted some patches to Jason Wessel that updated the community
support for KDB & NMI quite awhile ago that addressed the issues
with perf and friends on UV. But I have not heard back from him in a
couple of months. Is there a new maintainer for NMI/PERF/KDB etc.?

The primary problem is that the current UV NMI handler is in the
primary NMI notifier chain causing excessive reads of a register in
the UV hub. When perf is running these approach the millions per
second, and the MMIO read is not only expensive but also distrupts
the primary HUB activities of directing NUMA traffic. Thus the
system slows down considerably, and perf can even lose events.

We've even updated the UV BIOS to make this a faster path but it
needs the newer NMI handler to use it. Perhaps I should resubmit
them directly to you?

Thanks,
Mike