Re: [RFC] Transparent on-demand memory setup initialization embeddedin the (GFP) buddy allocator

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jun 26 2013 - 09:37:26 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:22:48 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > except that on 32 TB
> > systems we don't spend ~2 hours initializing 8,589,934,592 page heads.
>
> That's about a million a second which is crazy slow - even my
> prehistoric desktop is 100x faster than that.
>
> Where's all this time actually being spent?

See the earlier part of the thread - apparently it's spent initializing
the page heads - remote NUMA node misses from a single boot CPU, going
across a zillion cross-connects? I guess there's some other low hanging
fruits as well - so making this easier to profile would be nice. The
profile posted was not really usable.

Btw., NUMA locality would be another advantage of on-demand
initialization: actual users of RAM tend to allocate node-local
(especially on large clusters), so any overhead will be naturally lower.

Thanks,

Ingo