Re: linux-next: Tree for Jun 25

From: Yann E. MORIN
Date: Tue Jun 25 2013 - 05:22:04 EST

Sedat, All,

On Tuesday 25 June 2013 10:55:20 Sedat Dilek wrote:
> Not sure what's going on, but I get this with today's Linux-Next.
> ( Yesterday's next-20130624 was OK. )
>
> $ LANG=C LC_ALL=C yes "" | make oldconfig && LANG=C LC_ALL=C make
> silentoldconfig </dev/null
[--SNIP--]
> RapidIO support (RAPIDIO) [Y/n/?] y
> IDT Tsi721 PCI Express SRIO Controller support (RAPIDIO_TSI721) [Y/n/?] y
> Discovery timeout duration (seconds) (RAPIDIO_DISC_TIMEOUT) [30] 30
> Enable RapidIO Input/Output Ports (RAPIDIO_ENABLE_RX_TX_PORTS) [N/y/?] n
> DMA Engine support for RapidIO (RAPIDIO_DMA_ENGINE) [Y/n/?] y
> RapidIO subsystem debug messages (RAPIDIO_DEBUG) [N/y/?] n
> Enumeration method [M/y/?] (NEW) aborted!
>
> Console input/output is redirected. Run 'make oldconfig' to update
> configuration.

Yes, the same error as reported by Fengguang earlier:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild&m=137214773928335&w=4

And caused by (yet once more):
8357b48: kconfig: fix randomising choice entries in presence of KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG

Basically, the issue is:

- 'Enumeration method' is a tristate choice
- for tristate choices, it is possible to select zero, one or more of the
symbols in the choice
- if no symbol is selected (randomly or otherwise) in a tristate choice,
then the choice symbol itself has no assigned 'value'
- then silentoldconfig whines

It worked so far as a side effect of another bug (which 8357b48 tries to
fix), and now this new one has been exposed.

I have to think in a calm place tonight, when I'm back from work...

This one is starting to drive me crazy, really... :-(

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| Yann E. MORIN | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
| +0/33 662376056 | Software Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN | ^ |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL | """ conspiracy. |