Re: [Suggestion] arch: s390: mm: the warnings with allmodconfig and"EXTRA_CFLAGS=-W"

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Tue Jun 25 2013 - 02:50:23 EST

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:54:41 +0800
Chen Gang <gang.chen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Maintainers:
>
> When allmodconfig for " IBM zSeries model z800 and z900"
>
> It will report the related warnings ("EXTRA_CFLAGS=-W"):
> mm/slub.c:1875:1: warning: âdeactivate_slabâ uses dynamic stack allocation [enabled by default]
> mm/slub.c:1941:1: warning: âunfreeze_partials.isra.32â uses dynamic stack allocation [enabled by default]
> mm/slub.c:2575:1: warning: â__slab_freeâ uses dynamic stack allocation [enabled by default]
> mm/slub.c:1582:1: warning: âget_partial_node.isra.34â uses dynamic stack allocation [enabled by default]
> mm/slub.c:2311:1: warning: â__slab_alloc.constprop.42â uses dynamic stack allocation [enabled by default]
>
> Is it OK ?

Yes, these warnings should be ok. They are enabled by CONFIG_WARN_DYNAMIC_STACK,
the purpose is to find all functions with dynamic stack allocations. The check
if the allocations are truly ok needs to be done manually as the compiler
can not find out the maximum allocation size automatically.

--
blue skies,
Martin.