vmlinux symtab matching kallsyms fails: dso__find_symbol_by_name ----end ----

From: Prabhat Kumar Ravi
Date: Tue Jun 25 2013 - 01:33:38 EST

Hi All,

On 3.4-rc49, I got following failure running `perf test`:

/ # perf test -v 1
1: vmlinux symtab matches kallsyms:
--- start ---
dso__find_symbol_by_name ---- end ----
vmlinux symtab matches kallsyms: FAILED!

Perf test is failing at dsofind_symbol_by_name

where

kallsyms_map = machine__kernel_map(&kallsyms, type);

sym = map__find_symbol_by_name(kallsyms_map, ref_reloc_sym.name, NULL);
if (sym == NULL) {
pr_debug("dso__find_symbol_by_name ");
goto out;
}

Here sym is search for "_stext" which is NULL here so perf test fails
here only.

On investigation found that _stext having same address as asm_do_IRQ
and exception_text_start,

c00081c0 T asm_do_IRQ
c00081c0 T _stext
c00081c0 T __exception_text_start

so being deleted by symbolsfixup_duplicate in

if (choose_best_symbol(curr, next) == SYMBOL_A) {

rb_erase(&next->rb_node, symbols); --> symbole
getting erase here.
goto again;
} else {

My doubt is, Is we really need this commit??:

commit 3f5a42722b9e78a434d5a4ee5e607dc33c69ac80