Re: [Resend patch v8 0/13] use runnable load in schedule balance

From: Alex Shi
Date: Sun Jun 23 2013 - 23:16:20 EST

On 06/20/2013 10:18 AM, Alex Shi wrote:
> Resend patchset for more convenient pick up.
> This patch set combine 'use runnable load in balance' serials and 'change
> 64bit variables to long type' serials. also collected Reviewed-bys, and
> Tested-bys.
>
> The only changed code is fixing load to load_avg convert in UP mode, which
> found by PeterZ in task_h_load().
>
> Paul still has some concern of blocked_load_avg out of balance consideration.
> but I didn't see the blocked_load_avg usage was thought through now, or some
> strong reason to make it into balance.
> So, according to benchmarks testing result I keep patches unchanged.

Ingo & Peter,

This patchset was discussed spread and deeply.

Now just 6th/8th patch has some arguments on them, Paul think it is
better to consider blocked_load_avg in balance, since it is helpful on
some scenarios, but I think on most of scenarios, the blocked_load_avg
just cause load imbalance among cpus. and plus testing show with
blocked_load_avg the performance is just worse on some benchmarks. So, I
still prefer to keep it out of balance.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg455196.html

Is it the time to do the decision or give more comments? Thanks!

--
Thanks
Alex