Re: [RFC 0/2] Delay initializing of large sections of memory

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Fri Jun 21 2013 - 20:23:15 EST

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Mike Travis <travis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/21/2013 11:50 AM, Greg KH wrote:

>>> I would suggest another way:
>>> only boot the system with boot node (include cpu, ram and pci root buses).
>>> then after boot, could add other nodes.
>>
>> What exactly do you mean by "after boot"? Often, the boot process of
>> userspace needs those additional cpus and ram in order to initialize
>> everything (like the pci devices) properly.
>
> Exactly. That's why I left both low and high memory on each node.

looks like you assume every node have same ram, and before booting you
you need to know memory layout to append the boot command line.

We have patchset that moving srat table parse early.
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/yinghai/linux-yinghai.git
for-x86-mm
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/yinghai/linux-yinghai.git/log/?h=for-x86-mm

on top that, we could make your patch pass more simple command like
1/2^n of every node, and only need to pass n instead.

Thanks

Yinghai