Re: Nightly stable builds [Was: fec: Fix build for MCF5272]

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Jun 20 2013 - 21:46:44 EST

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:21:01AM +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 16:24 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> > > I have no idea. I publish the stable build patches all publically, so a
> > > build-bot could easily be built using it, which would be great to have.
> > >
> > The build-bot isn't the problem; as I mentioned above, I already have one
> > running. I was referring to a web front-end for it.
>
> Hi Guenter,
>
> Actually I hate the web front end, but that's because I wrote it :)
>
> It's pretty, but it doesn't scale very well, "one of these days" I'll
> rewrite it. My plan is to actually just make it a frontend for buildbot
> - but I never have time :)

Time is my problem too ... but then it is more costly for me if a problem
makes it into a release, so I have some interest in getting builds
(and at some point run tests) automated as much as possible.

> We already build the published stable branches, see:
> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/branch/
>
> But I think you're talking about building the patch queues before they
> go into git? If so the only hurdle would be someone publishing a git

Yes, that is the idea.

> tree of them - kisskb only knows how to build git trees.

I "solved" that problem by creating a front-end to my own nightly build script,
which also works on git repos. Essentially it takes the stable queue from Greg's
repo on kernel.org, executes quiltimport on top of the respective stable
branch, and then starts the actual build script.

Would it help if I manage to automate that and publish the resulting branches in
a repository on kernel.org, say, on a nightly basis ?

Another key advantage of having a git repository would be that it would trigger
auto-builds as well as smatch runs by others, so test coverage would be much
better than today.

Greg, would it be ok with you if I create such a repository, or would you want
to create and manage one yourself ?

Thanks,
Guenter