Re: Performance regression from switching lock to rw-sem foranon-vma tree

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jun 19 2013 - 09:16:23 EST

* Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo,
>
> At the time of switching the anon-vma tree's lock from mutex to
> rw-sem (commit 5a505085), we encountered regressions for fork heavy workload.
> A lot of optimizations to rw-sem (e.g. lock stealing) helped to
> mitigate the problem. I tried an experiment on the 3.10-rc4 kernel
> to compare the performance of rw-sem to one that uses mutex. I saw
> a 8% regression in throughput for rw-sem vs a mutex implementation in
> 3.10-rc4.
>
> For the experiments, I used the exim mail server workload in
> the MOSBENCH test suite on 4 socket (westmere) and a 4 socket
> (ivy bridge) with the number of clients sending mail equal
> to number of cores. The mail server will
> fork off a process to handle an incoming mail and put it into mail
> spool. The lock protecting the anon-vma tree is stressed due to
> heavy forking. On both machines, I saw that the mutex implementation
> has 8% more throughput. I've pinned the cpu frequency to maximum
> in the experiments.
>
> I've tried two separate tweaks to the rw-sem on 3.10-rc4. I've tested
> each tweak individually.
>
> 1) Add an owner field when a writer holds the lock and introduce
> optimistic spinning when an active writer is holding the semaphore.
> It reduced the context switching by 30% to a level very close to the
> mutex implementation. However, I did not see any throughput improvement
> of exim.
>
> 2) When the sem->count's active field is non-zero (i.e. someone
> is holding the lock), we can skip directly to the down_write_failed
> path, without adding the RWSEM_DOWN_WRITE_BIAS and taking
> it off again from sem->count, saving us two atomic operations.
> Since we will try the lock stealing again later, this should be okay.
> Unfortunately it did not improve the exim workload either.
>
> Any suggestions on the difference between rwsem and mutex performance
> and possible improvements to recover this regression?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tim
>
> vmstat for mutex implementation:
> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- -----cpu-----
> r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa st
> 38 0 0 130957920 47860 199956 0 0 0 56 236342 476975 14 72 14 0 0
> 41 0 0 130938560 47860 219900 0 0 0 0 236816 479676 14 72 14 0 0
>
> vmstat for rw-sem implementation (3.10-rc4)
> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- -----cpu-----
> r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa st
> 40 0 0 130933984 43232 202584 0 0 0 0 321817 690741 13 71 16 0 0
> 39 0 0 130913904 43232 224812 0 0 0 0 322193 692949 13 71 16 0 0

It appears the main difference is that the rwsem variant context-switches
about 36% more than the mutex version, right?

I'm wondering how that's possible - the lock is mostly write-locked,
correct? So the lock-stealing from Davidlohr Bueso and Michel Lespinasse
ought to have brought roughly the same lock-stealing behavior as mutexes
do, right?

So the next analytical step would be to figure out why rwsem lock-stealing
is not behaving in an equivalent fashion on this workload. Do readers come
in frequently enough to disrupt write-lock-stealing perhaps?

Context-switch call-graph profiling might shed some light on where the
extra context switches come from...

Something like:

perf record -g -e sched:sched_switch --filter 'prev_state != 0' -a sleep 1

or a variant thereof might do the trick.

Thanks,

Ingo