Re: [x86] only print out DR registers if they are not power-ondefaults.

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Jun 18 2013 - 11:59:29 EST

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:07:30AM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> My intent here was to ignore cases where the reserved bits haven't
> been set. I occasionally see DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 for eg.

That's bit 16 which, according to the docs is read-as-1:

"All remaining bits in the DR6 register are reserved. Reserved bits
31:16 and 11:4 must all be set to 1, while reserved bit 12 must be
cleared to 0. In 64-bit mode, the upper 32 bits of DR6 are reserved and
must be written with zeros. Writing a 1 to any of the upper 32 bits
results in a general-protection exception, #GP(0)."

This above if from AMD APM and Intel's SDM has a graphic showing the
exact same thing:

[31:16] = set to 1; [12] = 0b, [11:4] = 1b

So if you see bit 16 cleared, then some BIOS or even hardware is doing
funky things. I wouldn't wonder at all if BIOS dudes used reserved bits
in registers as scratch space.

> But maybe you're right, and that is a clue and is worth printing ? I
> can't personally recall ever diagnosing a bug using those register
> dumps in the last 15 years.

Right, I don't know whether it would always help but if you have an
oops and see, say bit 0 in DR6 set, i.e. a debug exception was caused
by address breakpoint condition in DR0, then that could be useful info,
methinks.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Sent from a fat crate under my desk. Formatting is fine.