Re: power-efficient scheduling design

From: Morten Rasmussen
Date: Tue Jun 18 2013 - 06:23:35 EST

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 02:37:21AM +0100, David Lang wrote:

> [...]
> > increase their idle time while letting others take the majority of the
> > load.
> >
> > Frequency scaling has a problematic impact on PJT's load metic, which
> > was pointed out a while ago by Chris Redpath
> > <https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/16/289>. So I agree with Arjan's
> > suggestion to change the load calculation basis to something which is
> > frequency invariant. Use whatever counters that are available on the
> > specific platform.
> >
> > I'm aware that the scheduler and power scheduler decisions may be
> > inextricably linked so we may decide to merge them. However, I think it
> > is worth trying to keep the power scheduling decisions out of the
> > scheduler until we have proven it infeasible.
> >
> > We are going to start working on this design and see where it takes us.
> > We will post any results and suggested patches for folk to comment on.
> > As a starting point we are planning to create a power scheduler
> > (kernel/sched/power.c) similar to a cpufreq governor that does capacity
> > management, and then evolve the solution from there.
>
> I don't think that you are passing nearly enough information around.
>
> A fairly simple example
>
> take a relatively modern 4-core system with turbo mode where speed controls
> affect two cores at a time (I don't know the details of the available CPUs to
> know if this is an exact fit to any existing system, but I think it's a
> reasonable fit)
>
> If you are running with a loadave of 2, should you power down 2 cores and run
> the other two in turbo mode, power down 2 cores and not increase the speed, or
> leave all 4 cores running as is.
>
> Depending on the mix of processes, I could see any one of the three being the
> right answer.
>
> If you have a process that's maxing out it's cpu time on one core, going to
> turbo mode is the right thing as the other processes should fit on the other
> core and that process will use more CPU (theoretically getting done sooner)
>
> If no process is close to maxing out the core, then if you are in power saving
> mode, you probably want to shut down two cores and run everything on the other
> two
>
> If you only have two processes eating almost all your CPU time, going to two
> cores is probably the right thing to do.
>
> If you have more processes, each eating a little bit of time, then continuing
> to run on all four cores uses more cache, and could let all of the tasks finish
> faster.
>

> So, how is the Power Scheduler going to get this level of information?
>
> It doesn't seem reasonable to either pass this much data around, or to try and
> give two independant tools access to the same raw data (since that data is so
> tied to the internal details of the scheduler). If we are talking two parts of
> the same thing, then it's perfectly legitimate to have this sort of intimate
> knowledge of the internal data structures.

I realize that my description is not very clear about this point. Total
load is clearly not enough information for the power scheduler to take
any reasonable decisions. By current load, I mean per-cpu load, number
of tasks, and possibly more task statistics. Enough information to
determine the best use of the system cpus.

As stated in my previous reply, this is not the ultimate design. It
expect to have many design iterations. If it turns out that it doesn't
make sense to have a separate power scheduler, then we should merge
them. I just propose to divide the design into manageable components. A
unified design covering the scheduler, two other policy frameworks, and
new policies is too complex in my opinion.

The power scheduler may be viewed as an external extension to the
periodic scheduler load balance. I don't see a major problem in
accessing raw data in the scheduler. The power scheduler will live in
sched/power.c. In a unified solution where you put everything into
sched/fair.c you would still need access to the same raw data to make
the right power scheduling decisions. By having the power scheduler
separately we just attempt to minimize the entanglement.

> Also, if the power scheduler puts the cores at different speeds, how is the
> balancing scheduler supposed to know so that it can schedule appropriately? This
> is the bigLittle problem again.
>
> It's this level of knowledge that both the power management and the scheduler
> need to know about what's going on in the guts of the other that make me say
> that they really are going to need to be merged.

The scheduler will need to be tuned to make the "right" load balancing
decisions based on the compute capacity made available by the power
scheduler. That includes dealing with symmetric systems with different
cpu frequencies and asymmetric systems, like bigLittle. Clearly, the
power scheduler must be able to trust that the load balancer will do the
right thing.

In an example scenario on bigLittle where you have a single task fully
utilizing a single Little cpu, I would expect the power scheduler to
detect this situation and enable a big cpu (increase its cpu_power). The
tuned load balancer will then move the task to the cpu with the highest
capacity.

So, the power scheduler should figure out the best setup for the current
load, and the scheduler (load balancer) should take care of putting the
right tasks on the right cpus according to the capacities (cpu_power)
set by the power scheduler. For this to work the load balancer must
adhere to a set of rules such that the power scheduler can reason about
the the load balancer behaviour like in the above example. Moving big
tasks to cpus with highest capacity is one of these rules. More will
probably be needed as we refine the design.

Morten