Re: Linux 3.10-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jun 16 2013 - 14:02:12 EST

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > David Daney (3):
> > smp.h: Use local_irq_{save,restore}() in !SMP version of on_each_cpu().
>
> This change (commit f21afc25f9ed45b8ffe200d0f071b0caec3ed2ef, which hasn't
> been in linux-next), broke at least mn10300 and ia64:
>
> include/linux/smp.h:148:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'local_irq_save' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

Hmm. DavidD already added the include for <linux/irqflags.h>, I wonder
why that doesn't end up working. Do we have some silly header file
circular include that means that we're already half-way through that
irqflags.h file and thus will skip it the second time we see it, or
why does it end up being undeclared?

Anyway, I see a few options:

- we could just make it a macro like it used to be (keeping the
include and assuming that will sort out any circular include mess) and
use a rare name for the internal "flags" variable (just prepending
double underscores is the common one we tend to use in situations like
this)

- we could just make it a real function, the way the SMP one is, and
take the extra call overhead (it's not like this should be all that
critical in an UP environment).

- somebody figures out why the <linux/irqflags.h> include ends up not
working on nm10300 and ia64..

Hmm?

Linus