Re: [alsa-devel] Improving or replacing snd_printk()

From: Joe Perches
Date: Fri May 31 2013 - 03:06:16 EST

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 08:37 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> It's a problem only with snd_printk(), as CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK
> influences on the behavior of snd_printk() and not on the debug prints
> with snd_printd() & co.

Are you're perhaps confused about how CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK
works with or varies between snd_printd and snd_printk?

#if defined(CONFIG_SND_DEBUG) || defined(CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK)
__printf(4, 5)
void __snd_printk(unsigned int level, const char *file, int line,
const char *format, ...);

#define snd_printk(fmt, args...) \
__snd_printk(0, __FILE__, __LINE__, fmt, ##args)

#ifdef CONFIG_SND_DEBUG
[...]
#define snd_printd(fmt, args...) \
__snd_printk(1, __FILE__, __LINE__, fmt, ##args)

I don't see a difference.

> Hence, the goal we should achieve is rather to drop
> CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK. *This* is the useless thing.

Maybe.

> Meanwhile, many snd_printk() messages might start looking annoying
> with the extra information. If so, such lines should be replaced with
> the standard prints like dev_*(). I think almost all snd_printk()
> like below are better replaced with standard ones.

below? Was there something that was supposed to be below?
Are you referring to the KERN_ERR/urb example above?

> So, alternatively, we can begin with replacing some snd_printk() with
> the standard functions, then dropping CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK.

Dropping CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK would simplify code a bit.

> I think most of snd_printd() and snd_printdd() can be kept as is.
> These are just debug messages, after all.

Some of those are emitted at levels other than KERN_DEBUG.
I think that odd.