Re: [regression, bisected] x86: efi: Pass boot services variableinfo to runtime code

From: Russ Anderson
Date: Thu May 30 2013 - 22:18:05 EST

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:30:43AM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> > > No, that defeats the entire point of the original patch.
> >
> > How so? It is still calling QueryVariableInfo()
> > before the data is used.
>
> You lose information provided by QueryVariableInfo() about boot-only
> variables once the transition boot -> runtime has happened.

Is that information really more important than the ability
to boot?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but linux was able to boot without
the boottime QueryVariableInfo() call up until 3.9-rc7,
and it still does on systems that do not use EFI stubs (ie
grub and elilo). It is only when linux uses EFI stubs (ie
grub2) that linux makes the boottime QueryVariableInfo()
call. So why is that call, or whatever is dependent on it,
more important than booting?

Thanks,
--
Russ Anderson, OS RAS/Partitioning Project Lead
SGI - Silicon Graphics Inc rja@xxxxxxx