Why Linux OS Desktop is not popular?

From: Amit C
Date: Tue May 28 2013 - 05:42:20 EST

Hi All,

Linux OS Desktop has not become very popular because of the following reasons:

1. It is not because its GUI is not good.
2. It is because if I buy a new gadget/device/hardware, I am not sure
whether it will work with Linux Desktop.
3. The reason for number 2 is that the vendor introducing
gadget/device/hardware does not write a device driver for Linux.
4. The reason for number 3 is that developing new device driver on
linux is hard.
5. The way to solve number 4 is to move to data oriented device driver
development where the framework for driver is already available for
all kinds of devices (PCI, USB, Firewire, etc.) and the only thing a
device driver developer has to do is to collect io/virtual addresses
from the vendor/manual and feed into a table (structure of structures,
etc.) and the framework will pick up this data and configure the new
gadget/device/hardware instantly.

I do not want to pay for Microsoft OS but can Linux community give me
a usable Linux Desktop. I have both Windows and Linux on my laptop and
I use Microsoft just to connect to Internet because the USB dongle
that I use for connecting to Internet does not work on Linux. I am in
India and here USB dongles connecting to Internet are very popular
because you can use them anywhere.

Regards,
Amit